PLASTICS – THE MIRACLE MATERIAL AND ITS COMPLEXITIES

Today, I wish to delve into a subject of profound significance that permeates our daily lives: plastics and their ramifications. Our organization, entrenched in the plastics industry, processes and sells over 5,500 MT of various grades of plastic raw materials annually. It is imperative that we consider the management and disposal of waste generated from this substantial quantity.

While 5,500 MT may seem modest in comparison to national or global consumption levels, the gravity of the situation demands a unified approach and heightened awareness. Every initiative we undertake has value, and I invite my esteemed colleagues to contribute their insights on how we can enhance public understanding of responsible plastic use.

One proposal is to incorporate a directive in our quotes and invoices that reads: "Please recycle or dispose of plastic waste responsibly." Additionally, I propose that we ban the use of single-use mineral water bottles on our office premises. Instead, we should encourage the use of reusable water bottles, which would significantly reduce plastic waste. 

The forthcoming Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) regulations from the government will hold manufacturers accountable for their waste, though the effectiveness of these measures remains to be seen.  Currently, the per capita plastic consumption in India ranges between 12 to 15 kg, compared to 35 to 40 kg in Europe and China. This indicates that we still have the potential to enact measures to mitigate the deleterious effects of plastics on human health and the environment.

I was deeply unsettled to discover that microplastics are present in the salt and sugar we consume, with particle sizes ranging from 0.01 mm to 0.05 mm. Alarmingly, there is evidence suggesting that these particles may even infiltrate the brains of newborns. This contamination may stem from airborne microplastics or synthetic fibers in our clothing. Furthermore, the commercial processing of salt and sugar involves anti-caking agents such as Magnesium Carbonate, which could be contributing to the presence of these particles.

During the recent IPI event, I raised this issue and announced that we will soon convene a roundtable discussion with experts on this matter.

On a lighter note, someone humorously inquired about how to address the issue of plastic particles in salt and sugar. I wryly suggested that reducing sugar and salt intake might help manage blood pressure and glucose levels.

In closing, I urge everyone to be mindful of their salt and sugar consumption for better health 😊

C.P. Navneeth Kumar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daughters are Special Gift....!!!