"Saath Pheras"
During traditional Hindu marriages we have the practice of performing ‘Saath Pheras’. As we all know it is a ritual performed on the newly married couple. The couple are asked to take Seven Rounds with incinerated flames in the middle. I am sure most of you know the meaning of this ritual and the Oath the newly married couple take while taking each round. The “Meaning of ‘Saath Pheras’ are as follows…
- With the promise to nourish each other I
take this first step with you.
- With determination to grow together in
physical, mental and spiritual strength, I take the second step with you.
- With the promise to preserve our wealth
and prosperity I take this third step with you.
- With the vow to serve you with happiness
and harmony I take this fourth step with you.
- With the promise to care for long life
and health of our children, I take this fifth step with you.
- With the vow to be together forever in
all consequences, I take this sixth step with you.
- With the promise of everlasting friendship and true companionship, I take this seventh step with you!
We are so fortunate to belong and inherit our Culture which reminds us periodically about our Matrimonial Oath. There can be instances in everybody’s married life that we disagree on so many factors, at those crucial times if we can read the above ‘Saath Pheras’ it can bring in an array of hope, calmness, compassion and balm our feelings. It would rather pacify and assuage to be accommodative, let go and look ahead!
It is prudent to pray - May Almighty God bless all married couples to
lead a happy and peaceful life for ever.
Stay Home and Stay Safe!! - C.P.Navneeth Kumar
Dear CPN sir,
ReplyDeleteVery nice to read your blog. This article is very nearly knitted with rich info and expressed. While reading it made me to recall the memories of the SAPTAPADI ritual in my marriage. Very glad.
Wishing for more such article from you with our culture and rich heritage.
Good luck
Hello Brother,
ReplyDeleteIn today's world marriages have become short cut affair, thanks a lot for reminding the hindu tradition.
This is knowledge worthy Thanks a ton!
ReplyDelete